Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Help - what is wrong with my trees?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Help - what is wrong with my trees?

Postby Canadian Ent » Jul 17, 2013 8:37 pm

It has been ridiculously hot in my area over the last two weeks. There is something wrong with some of my trees - or at least with their leaves. Some of it looks fungas- like to me. Any ideas or suggestions?

Here are some apple tree leaves:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are some crabapple leaves:

image.jpg
Canadian Ent

Re: Help - what is wrong with my trees?

Postby Canadian Ent » Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm

And here is a pyramid oak:

image.jpg
Canadian Ent

Postby Ian66 » Jul 17, 2013 11:19 pm

They look like they are newly planted trees (within a season or two) and if so the yellow leaves are normal as it will shed some while it becomes established.....
You could also (not clear from your pics....too far away) be leaf spot funguses.....scab or rust on the apple and septoria leaf spot on the oak....
Don't be alarmed, every tree will get a leaf spot from time to time and it will not harm the tree......just look bad.....it may even lose leaves, but again your tree will be OK....make sure that you keep it adequately watered through the summer and as the tree gets larger and healthier, it will resist some of these outbreaks.....
This season is particularly bad for leaf spots etc due to our weather.....
I've been a horticulturalist for 20 years and believe me that you trees will be OK......no need to try any fungicides as it will not make the spots go away and will not stop the spread, now that the fungus is on the leaves......
You could try to keep the area clean of any infected leaves, but since the spores blow in the wind, it is possible that the spores are coming from someone elses tree......

Ian
Ian66

Postby Jersm » Jul 18, 2013 9:05 am

in my opinion your apple tree's have contracted a fungus called apple scabs. ( they effect more then just apple tree's) not 100% about the oak tree.

http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-adv ... -scab.html

here is a video by michigan state university plant pathologist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj8JCh4Why4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS3BGJHpWsc

We have an apple tree in the front yard and it did contract scabs ages ago, it doesn't go away unless you help the tree.

What happens is the scabs form these little black dots over infected leafs and they also will attack the fruit. when leafs and fruit gets bad cases of scabs they will kill the leaf so it end up on the ground where it can spread during the next rain.

I actually just recently chopped a chunk off the top that was rotting away bad scabs infection. next year i plan on treating the tree beacause it has tasty apples. (when not infected with scabs)

the scabs(or rust) seriously limit the growth of the fruit too if not treated.. sadly there are wild apple tree's all over this city's forest that have the disease so its all over the place.
Jersm

Return to Plant Talk