Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Tree Stump planter

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Tree Stump planter

Postby lighty11 » Jul 21, 2013 8:38 am

So we just had a big storm with some micro-bursts that snapped my two maples in half. What remains now, afte cleanup, is two stumps about four feet high that i have bored out about a foot deep and also some drain holes.

What I'm wondering is; What should I plant in there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
lighty11

Re: Tree Stump planter

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Maple stumps will send out many sprouts. For example, we had a few trees removed from our backyard 5 yrs ago. One was a maple & a 18" stump was left on which we wanted to place a flowerpot. That thing sent out dozens of sprouts which we left
because they looked better than the stump itself. After a yr. the stump no longer served as a potholder. I call that stump my maple bush because I keep it pruned to 6ft high with a width of 5ft. It is heavily leafed & much more attractive as a bush than it ever was as a tree which shows that nature can often provide a surprise.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas