Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Any other Fruit growers?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Any other Fruit growers?

Postby MattyBlanco » Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Hey everyone! Just wondering if there are any other fruit tree/plant growers in here. I am currently growing Lemons (which have sprouted), Red Grapefruit, Kiwi, Red Delicious Apples, Peach, Red Plum, and Orange trees. I am also germinating some more Orange, Avocado & Golden Delicious Apple seeds. Anyone have any success yourselves in growing fruit trees/plants? Let me know! I'd like to chat about it and hear your stories and experiences!
Growing Fruit Trees is A LOT of fun!
http://mathewsfruittrees.blogspot.ca/
MattyBlanco

Re: Any other Fruit growers?

Postby linnea » Jul 22, 2013 10:27 pm

The only fruit I grow are strawberries and grapes. In our cold climate strawberries do just fine.Valiant grapes grow best here and can withstand our -25C to sometimes -40C winters with only a bit of either snow cover or a thick mulch. I've taken soft cuttings from the vines and started new plants from them by simply sticking them in a pot of light soil, watering well then putting a Ziploc bag over them to keep in the moisture. I put them in a shady area until they root out and then take the cover off, put them in the sun and away they go! The trick is to retain a couple of small leaves only when starting them or if there is a larger leaf, cutting it in half. That avoids too much moisture loss.
linnea

Postby Jersm » Jul 23, 2013 11:15 am

i plan on getting more into fruit tree's soon.

so far fruit wise ive got grape vines and an apple tree. however the apple tree is plagued with a bad case of scabs.
Jersm

Postby Tara » Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am

I'm growing a fig tree for the first time this year. I also have strawberries, blueberries and a couple of grape vines. And, I have what I think is a blackberry bush, but it didn't produce fruit for me this year...
Tara
Site Admin

Postby milkwoman » Jul 27, 2013 3:34 pm

I've just moved nto a 2+ acre property in PEI and so far have planted strawberries, raspberries, grapes, pears, cherries, a 5in1 apple and even a peach. Its a far cry from my little city backyard in southern ontario! :shock: I had very good luck growing there so we'll see how things come up here. Same zone (6) but different soil and climate. But thats why we love gardening so much, isn't it? Always trying to learn and watch our babies grow!! :)
milkwoman

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening