Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Too little or too much water?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Too little or too much water?

Postby Calman » Jul 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi folks,

I transplanted a small bush in our garden a few weeks back, fully expecting a bit of relocation shock at first. Surprisingly, it looked nice and green for 2-3 weeks, but the leaves are now losing their rich green appearance and curling quite severely.

I generally water after sunset for around 15 minutes and wonder if the bush is getting too much or too little water? .. or is this a delayed reaction to moving it to a new location?

Any help appreciated,
Many thanks.
Calman

Re: Too little or too much water?

Postby Ian66 » Jul 31, 2013 8:13 pm

First off....what type of shrub did you move and did you place it in an extreme location other than what it was used to.....that could be one cause....also, when moving a shrub in full leaf, it is a good practise to over water it to compensate for the loss of feeder roots and shade the foliage to prevent sun scorch..... if your soil is heavy, you may have overwatered it.....only you can answer that by testing the soil in the new location.....
With that being said, it is normal for a shrub to experience shock and have the leaves curl...as long as most of the leaves are intact on the shrub, then photosynthesis is still taking place and the shrub as a whole will recover and look better next season.....
Better to move shrubs or trees when they go into dormancy....that way, you avoid transplant shock and the damage to the foliage....

Ian
Ian66

Postby Jersm » Jul 31, 2013 9:30 pm

it must be a big shrub if you water it for 15 mins. I would only do that to a tree that isdecently big.

generally speaking plants roots are about 2x bigger then their "canopy". so if you all of a scoop out this shrub in the middle of growing and heavily reduce its roots.

the shrub is thinking "hey i can no longer support all these leaves and branches with nutrients/water plus i gotta heal my roots and establish myself in the new area." (hours of sun)

when this happens plants will sacrifice leafs and branches and uses their stored water and nutrients for healing/survival/cutting itself back to match root size. (since it cant cut it cuts off nutrients and water and the leafs dry out till they just fall off)

ive transplanted tons and tons of plants of all sizes and i constantly see this and the bigger the plant the longer it takes to heal.

this is also seen in cloning plants (forcing a cutting to root to start a new plant with same dna) so a common practice is to cut the foliage back right after cutting it off the mother plant.
Jersm

Postby Calman » Aug 01, 2013 4:00 am

Many thanks for the replies folks, really appreciate it.

First of all, I should have explained the details of that "15 minute watering" ... as I can imagine your shock to that level of water. Basically, this was carried out with an oscillator, so basically a sprinkle of water on each pass (novice here, so not sure that was the ideal approach, carried out after sunset?)

As far as type of shrub/bush .... all I can tell you, is that it displays a wonderful yellow flower in early Spring, then changes to a mid green coloured leaf for the rest of the year.

Something like this example (our bush grows an average of 6-7 feet):
http://www.colourbox.com/preview/179293 ... garden.jpg

We are in the Okanagan Valley in BC, so very dry climate, especially in the last few weeks, with not a single drop of rain. My worry in thinking the bush may have initially been too dry, has now resulted in thinking it's getting too much water?.

I'll try and take a photo of it's current condition tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Calman

Postby jennyferry » Aug 09, 2013 5:07 am

Calman wrote:Many thanks for the replies folks, really appreciate it.

First of all, I should have explained the details of that "15 minute watering" ... as I can imagine your shock to that level of water. Basically, this was carried out with an oscillator, so basically a sprinkle of water on each pass (novice here, so not sure that was the ideal approach, carried out after sunset?)

what about soil condition?
both soils, that is before and after moving. that also is important.
jenny is looking at soursop tree benefits for soursop fruit juice.
jennyferry

Postby Countryboy » Aug 09, 2013 8:37 am

First thing in the morning would be better than 'after sunset'.

And really, 15 minutes under an oscillating shower would be considered a 'sprinkle'... 'specially in the dry soils in the Okanagans.

A quart or even two, as long as the water is disappearing steadily, poured directly on the plant soil, would be maybe more appropriate.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 13, 2013 12:02 pm

As for what kind of shrub, first thing that came to my mind when you described it was a Forsythia. :)

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Ian66 » Aug 13, 2013 1:20 pm

I agree with HeelsDown (Jenn).....it does sound like a forsythia and if it is, they are very hardy shrubs (drought resistant once they are established) and no doubt will recover and be better next year....
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk