Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Curses...the back deck is 21 yrs old.....

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Curses...the back deck is 21 yrs old.....

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 01, 2013 10:47 pm

and between rain showers many rotten planks replaced. Often with additional bracing of the joists also do to the ravages of rot. We have now had 3 days without rain & I have been busy scraping off loose paint & filling cracks in some planks with silicone. Thank goodness I have kneeling pads but after six hrs of down on hands & knees, my buns ache & even with the pads my knees get a little creaky. Next come sanding the planks so that what old paint remains on them will be scuffed giving the new paint some bite to the old.(I hate painting).Two coats with 24 hours curing between them so figure that I have at least 3 more days of pain to endure. Any more trouble from that darn deck & I will bite the bullet & hire someone to tear it out & build a new one. :mrgreen:

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Re: Curses...the back deck is 21 yrs old.....

Postby Jersm » Aug 02, 2013 9:38 am

oh god.... we built a deck and never put any water seal or anything...... the rot was crazy we had carpenter ants taking over making it even worse!!! when the fence posts all roted at the base and the wind snapped them and layed it down. i had to cut it in sections and raise it up patch it up again! its a frankenfence....

have you considered using paint stripper then a pressure washer? :mrgreen:

then apply some water sealer after maybe to increase the durability.
Jersm

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Nah....I'm in my early 80's. If I do anything I will have the decking torn out and the joists replaced with pressure treated lumber. Not the crap sold in box stores.Then use cedar deck planks & spray them with water sealer seeing as how creosote is frowned on these days. The refurbished deck should then outlast me or at least for the time remaining that I can maintain the house.If the latter is the case the deck will help to sell the house. :lol:

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 12, 2013 12:09 am

Due to the perverse weather(rain)I'm still working on the deck. Have finally finished all of the repairs(rotted planks removed & replaced) & have managed to get 2 cured coats of paint laid down on the main portion of the deck. Managed to get a coat of paint on the ledge in front of the sunroom & one of 2 steps. Have discovered that the second step needs repairs(what else in new :roll: ). Then it will be a coat of paint laid on the top rail of the railings around the deck. I'm beginning to think that snow will be flying by the time I'm finished.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Well here it is Aug.14th & I have finished repairing & painting the deck. It looks nice proving that looks are decieving. Knowing the overall condition I will be surprised if it survives next year. And if not....ohhhh wellll. I no longer build large projects & I will hire the job of replacing it. Fortunately we have a neighbour who makes his living building decks & fences & I know he does good work so I can see an upcoming job for him.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Laura » Aug 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Nice to be done with that job I bet Lee.

Hubby and I are on the last bit of our front porch re-do,front door is painted,stain on the porch rails and floor done.Now we are painting the stair railings ... should be done by the weekend if the weather co-operates ..... :)
Laura

Postby Countryboy » Aug 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Well good for both of u. Glad yr nearing the end. :)

I... OTOH.. just had my deck collapse on the other house. Built in 1987... I'm not really surprised. It's been patched and repaired over the years. But I think we've stretched it's life out to the maximum.

It's time to 'put it down'... and toast some marshmallows over it in it's honour. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas