Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Help me save my pye weed please!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Help me save my pye weed please!

Postby DI-SU » Aug 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Can someone please help? Just planted this pye weed two weeks ago and the bottom leaves are being attacked. What do I do to prevent further destruction. The top of the plant looks fine! I'm a novice gardener. Any advice would be wunderbar!
Attachments
image.jpg
My poor joe pye weed
DI-SU

Re: Help me save my pye weed please!

Postby Ian66 » Aug 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Check to see if you see any insects but I will bet you won't because slugs are public enemy #1 with Joe Pye weeds(they feed at night and hide by day)......you could use slug bait, but the best permanent remedy is strips of copper placed around the plants......it gives them a shock when they try to cross it because of a chemical reaction between their slime and the copper......Remember that Joe pye weed is a swamp type plant and loves very moist conditions.....this will keep him/her happy
Also....even though there is holes in the leaves and it makes it unsightly, the slugs will not totally kill your plant.....

Ian
Ian66

Re: Help me save my pye weed please!

Postby B_BQ » Aug 12, 2013 7:21 pm

I planted Joe-Pye Weed about 3 years ago. It's planted in a very murky dark corner, gets very little sunlight, and the soil is very dry, other than what it gets from drips from the eaves when it rains! It has performed beautifully. It is healthy and strong with lovely flowers later in the year. The leaves on my Joe Pye Weed are a deep burgundy.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Plant Talk