Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What's going on with my juniper?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What's going on with my juniper?

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Hello there,

Me again lol! I have two junipers in my garden, and both of them are starting to brown - one worse than the other. For the life of me, I can't recall the specific name of it and was too lazy to look up the tags that I kept.

Is it too much water? Too little? Just happens? In the wrong place?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
Jenn
Attachments
image (6).jpeg
HeelsDown

Re: What's going on with my juniper?

Postby Ian66 » Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

If they are newly planted, I would recommend that you keep them well watered but not soggy....junipers like a well drained, sunny location.....they are very hardy, so I would also add that you prune off the dead (brown) foliage....do not fertilize them.....nothing worse than adding fertilizing salts to a struggling/stressed plant....

Ian
Ian66

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Ian,

Let's see...I planted them last year so they are approximately a year old now...maybe a bit more as I can't recall if I did it in the spring or fall.

I guess from the pic it does show that the soil is not moist. They are planted on top of a slight mound (the form my garden takes) so moisture/rain would not stay long.

I'll prune off all the dead (ouchy lol) and try watering them a touch more. I have to be honest and say I'm really terrible at watering. I leave it to the rain most of the time...this year has been better than last b/c we have had lots. My Mom gave me heck for my lack of watering skills last year lol!

Thanks!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Ian66 » Aug 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Newly planted like your plants are not yet established....it takes about two seasons for the roots to get a hold in the soil.....once they do, these junipers are very drought resistant and you won't have to water/worry about watering.....
A good tip is to create an earthen dam (ring) around the base of the plant, so when you water, you can make sure the water is soaking the root ball and reduce run off.....
So....give them a good soaking at least once a week.....rain will not water them well enough with newly planted shrubs or trees....

Ian
Ian66

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks, I will try that. You are a garden Master! :)

Jenn
HeelsDown

Return to Plant Talk