Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Fresh Start

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Fresh Start

Postby PamelaDee1 » Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Hey everyone! I recently moved into my own place and am starting to think flowers! I have a big yard, and don't want to do this twice so I thought I would ask for advice first!
I would like to start with the front...
The front of my place faces south, and I don't water a lot so drought resistant is needed! I would like flowers that bloom all year too. The one flower bed is roughly 6ft by 10ft. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Zone 4a
PamelaDee1

Re: Fresh Start

Postby Laura » Aug 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Hello Pamela ... it might be a good idea for you to plant some native flowers.They can easily tolerate the soil and weather,and they are more disease resistant.

If you look on the net you can find lots of info.
Laura

Postby Countryboy » Aug 21, 2013 6:01 pm

PamelaDee1 wrote: I would like flowers that bloom all year too.

Wouldn't we all! ;) heeheehee

I have a rather haphazard way of dealing with a new garden area. First I prepare my soil well... then I do whatever comes next. lol

Start with a couple of transplants from other gardens, then something u get from a friend, maybe something u like and pick up at a plant sale, a garden centre... and stick them all in that well-prepared bed.

Include wildflowers like Daisy, Brown-Eyed Susans, Lychness, and the like. Plant in some seeds like Morning Glory, and too many others to list. Stick in some store-bought Annuals in the Spring.

Most of my favourite garden is an evolving thing. And probably will be for years. It's my favourite toy. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CG admin » Aug 26, 2013 12:07 pm

I have a very dry garden in my front yard, as well. What's doing well? I have tickseed, catmint (beware, it's a spreader), sedum, lavender and some lovely ornamental grasses :D
CG admin
Site Admin

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas