Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Identify tree from leaf and berry?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Identify tree from leaf and berry?

Postby Hjalmar3 » Sep 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi.. I'm trying to find out what kind of tree is in my front yard.. I previously thought it was a red Russian elm but now I don't think it is.. pruned branches today and wondered if the berries are edible.. they resemble a tiny Delicious apple about 1/2 inch diameter.. deep reddish purple similar to the veins on the bottom of the leaf.. the leaves grow in a cluster of 5 to 7 stems sprouting from the end of branches (which are very gnarly).. the leaves are oval shaped tapering to a point at both ends.. dark green with burgundy/maroon(?) splotches on the top.. 8 alternating veins on the bottom which extend from the centre vein to within about 5mm of the edge.. the leaves are 10 cm long by 4.5 cm wide at the broadest point.. the leaf edge is not jagged but not totally smooth either.. if I recall correctly the blossoms in the spring are small deep red/burgundy.. the general appearance of the tree resembles a purple smoke tree but it's larger than a shrub.. it must be 30 feet tall and nearly as wide.. the lowest branch is probably 6 feet from the ground due to pruning.. the bark has split and peeled so it looks very old.. any idea what it could be? Thanks ^_^
Hjalmar3

Re: Identify tree from leaf and berry?

Postby Ian66 » Sep 02, 2013 7:01 am

A picture would certainly help out to identify it, but by your description it sound like you have one of the many ornamental crabapple trees......possibly "Profusion crabapple" which has burgandy coloured leaves....
Ian66

Re: Identify tree from leaf and berry?

Postby Hjalmar3 » Sep 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Ian66 wrote:A picture would certainly help out to identify it, but by your description it sound like you have one of the many ornamental crabapple trees......possibly "Profusion crabapple" which has burgandy coloured leaves....

Sorry my rechargeable batteries have been dead for months :( but I think your guess looks good so far from google images.. I never suspected it was a crabapple as the "berries" were so small.. I never looked closely at them before but I was curious whether they were edible.. but too chicken to try 'em haha! I think they were larger this year because of all the rain we've had this summer.

Thank you so much for assuaging my curiosity :wink:
Hjalmar3

Return to Plant Talk