Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Do plants reboot?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Do plants reboot?

Postby Canadian Ent » Sep 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Do they?

I mean after they go dormant and come back in the spring does anything "reset"

For example, I have two yews in close proximity. One did well this year and put on new growth. The other went slightly yellow, dropped some needles, and had no new growth. I think it was some sort of mineral deficiency. Is there a chance in the spring that it will "reboot" and come back?

Does this go for other plants and trees?
Canadian Ent

Re: Do plants reboot?

Postby davefrombc » Sep 02, 2013 7:09 pm

In a sense , plants reboot every year. They go through the growth, seed production and return to dormancy every year. If the cycle is interrupted for some reason they can suffer for it; just as our computers do not perform well if the cycle of boot up and use/ shut down is not followed properly.. Yes, a plant may not do well one year because of environmental factors, temperature , moisture, and insect damage / fertility problems , but the next year may see them closer to ideal for them and they can then make up for the lost year. A plant that isn't allowed to go dormant when it is part of its natural cycle will suffer for it just as a lousy spring or early frosts in the fall before can also affect its growth during the summer .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Re: Do plants reboot?

Postby Ian66 » Sep 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Well said, Dave.....
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk