Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Hydroponics?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Hydroponics?

Postby Bmwsauber » Jul 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Hey everyone:

I would like to formally introduce myself, My name is Abe and I am a somewhat avid gardener (not crazy and perfect but I get it done :P ) and recently I have been getting into hydroponic gardening (growing plants in water without soil) and I have a few questions about growing Basil and Mint in a bowl with rocks and water.

The image above is what I will be using to grow the plants in. I am going to buy an air pump (aquarium or smaller) to pump oxygen into the rocks so that the roots can breath. I have several questions though:

With the air pump in the rocks, will the oxygen circulate fully throughout the bowl?
Is this big enough to grown the plants in without any issues?
Do I need to have a drain and fill system or can they be submerged 24/7?

I will be providing plant food mixed with distilled water or tap water to provide food for the plants and the roots will be fully covered to stop root rot from the sun

Thank you
Abe
Bmwsauber

Re: Hydroponics?

Postby Dumbo » Jul 30, 2012 6:32 am

Heya Abe,

As my name implies, i'm pretty much dumb. ;)
Especially in regards to hydroponics. Sorry.

Someone else may jump in to share some guidance or knowledge.

I'm definitely interested in what the outcome will be. So keep us informed.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby cable24601 » Jul 30, 2012 5:40 pm

A few things. Mint will take over fast and will have a large root system. you will out grow that pot quite soon. You will need to use plant food that has micro nutrients for your plants to grow without dirt. You can leave the water in the system and it will act like a DWC with the air stone. hope that helps
Visit my blog at http://www.getforked.ca
cable24601

Postby LangL » Aug 10, 2012 8:33 am

Mint, basil, parsley and dill can be easily grown in the soil, why using hydroponics for them? Just experimenting?
LangL

Postby Jersm » Aug 10, 2012 12:10 pm

you could always make a few self watering pots out of 2L bottles.you could link them allup with one small waterpump too.

the only thing thiswould be using a potting soil. you will not have tofeed itas much maybe once water based nutriments.

the water in the pot should last a week+ so itreally is low maintenance.I have letusand 2 bush bean plants growing in 2L wicking pots on the patio table.
Jersm

Postby wluy8 » Sep 09, 2013 7:20 am

Cool, always­ good to experiment.
wluy8

Postby indoorfarmboy » Sep 26, 2013 11:33 pm

How did it turn out?

I suspect that the stones will block the air from getting to some of the plant's roots. Usually deep water culture is done differently than this so I'm wondering how the plants did. Do you have updated pictures?
indoorfarmboy

Return to Indoor Plants