Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Thistle like flower ID

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Thistle like flower ID

Postby Mystic » Sep 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi,
I have a plant ,which is shrub like now, that has little purple thistle like flowers. The leaves are divided. Not sure how to post a picture as the Img button inserts tags but no direction where to load attachment.
I want to move this plant as it has outgrown its spot. Possible it has a tap root. I have not been able to match it up in my books or on the internet.
Any ideas welcome or how to post pic appreciated.
Thanks
Mystic

Re: Thistle like flower ID

Postby Ian66 » Sep 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Need to see a close up pic before I can give an opinion.....also I am not computer savvy enough to explain how to post a pic without confusing you.....someone will come along , I'm sure to tell you.....
If it is blooming now, it might be a Bluebeard Caryopteris....

Ian
Ian66

Re: Thistle like flower ID

Postby Mystic » Sep 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks Ian,
After browsing this board I think it is Perisan cornflower. It is still blooming but it also still feels like summer here. It has grown into a wide round shrubby plant and needs to be divided or moved and I am not sure how it grows. I hacked at it in the spring but it came back bigger and better. It has never spread anywhere else in the garden so I don't want to kill it either.

Last year or so I attached a pic. and it turned out to be a noxious weed. Anways the pic posting seems to be different now. I hit Img above and get . Not sure what to do with that.

Thanks
Mystic

Return to Plant Talk