Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

corn

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

corn

Postby revid » Oct 13, 2013 4:46 pm

I planted a few corn this year and had some success in the form of a couple dozed cobs out of aprox 100 plants with alot of smaller unripen cobs.My question is how or do I fertilize in the fall for a better crop next year.I have access to alot of seaweed which I heard is real good for corn or do I mix in some manure now or just wait till spring to fertilize. Or any other suggestions would be great.
revid

Re: corn

Postby Countryboy » Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

I just did a quick search on fertilizing corn and they say that nitrogen levels are key. If u search it it will quickly take u to that U of CO site.

Seaweed is high in nitrogen... BUT!... initially will suck up nitrogen from the soil in it's decomposition process. So timing of yr application will be important. I would maybe talk to some local farmers or anyone else who uses seaweed ad an organic.

Or build yrself a pile and compost the seaweed prior to spreading it, maybe.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby davefrombc » Oct 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Did you plant the corn in a long single row, in a "block", or at least a double row ? Corn relies on the wind to transfer pollen from the tassels to the silk. If the silk doesn't get pollinated the ears and kernels will not develop properly. Corn only requires normally fertile soil ... more compost or fertilizer might help some but it usually isn't a major requirement. Corn in the garden is ideally planted in a block pattern, say ten stalks x ten for100 plants; or plant in at least a double row oriented so the prevailing wind can blow the pollen from stalk to stalk. Better to have 2, 3 or more shorter rows than one long one .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby revid » Oct 18, 2013 6:25 am

thanks for info.I planted in a block.I was going to fertilize with seaweed now so that by the spring all the salt water will be leeched out and it would have started to decompose but its coming on winter so I guess there wont be to much decomposing,lol.
revid

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening