Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Tree Identification please.

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Tree Identification please.

Postby lucky777 » Oct 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Bought my house a couple of years ago and it was already here. I have been trimming ad maintaining it but I have no idea what it is. A few people thought it was a type of lilac but we've never seen any flowers on it so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

lucky777

Re: Tree Identification please.

Postby Countryboy » Oct 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Well I'm not really very good at trees... :oops: lol... but...

The trunk/bark and the leaves remind me of some kind of a Cherry. Maybe not a wild Cherry but possibly a Choke Cherry???

Wild Cherry trees will not always fruit every year. But they come out in little, white Cherry petals when they do... followed by tiny cherries.

I would stop trimming it. I know trimming is not recommended for Cherry trees. And mine always fruits out at the ends of the branches so I *almost* never trim it.

Best of luck! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Ian66 » Oct 16, 2013 12:41 am

Your tree is a Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2022

The veination on the leaves are one of the identifying features.....

It would normally flower and produce bitter berries, but since you have been pruning it, it will not produce flowers.

You should also know that it is classified as an "Invasive Species" and is considered a "weed tree".......you may want to re-think having this tree and replant something that is more in line with a tree that will have frangrant flowers in spring and/or colourful foliage in the fall.....

Ian
Ian66

Postby lucky777 » Oct 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Ian66 wrote:Your tree is a Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)

http://ontariotrees.com/main/species.php?id=2022

The veination on the leaves are one of the identifying features.....

It would normally flower and produce bitter berries, but since you have been pruning it, it will not produce flowers.

You should also know that it is classified as an "Invasive Species" and is considered a "weed tree".......you may want to re-think having this tree and replant something that is more in line with a tree that will have frangrant flowers in spring and/or colourful foliage in the fall.....

Ian

Your were 100% right, that's exactly what it is. To think that I've been trying to maintain this weed for a few years is frustrating :x . I wonder if the previous home owner had actually bought it or just dug it up somewhere and planted it. Do you they actually sell them somewhere? I never would have found it so thank you very much.

Think I'll chop it down this weekend and search for a tree to replace it with in the spring.
lucky777

Postby Ian66 » Oct 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Garden centers do not normally sell these trees.....they are notorious for self seeding or deposited by birds in their droppings....
Never the less...you have made a wise decision to replace it with something that will be useful....

Regards
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk