Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Begonias

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Begonias

Postby Alice in Wonderland » Oct 23, 2013 4:34 pm

:?: Hi! I'm new here and hoping to exchange ideas and learn from the experts out there.
My first question is this: I have 2 begonias in flower pots that are still looking pretty healthy but it's getting a little chilly out on the deck for them, especially at night. How do they do when transferred indoors? Will they thrive as a houseplant?
Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.
Alice
Alice in Wonderland

Re: Begonias

Postby CG admin » Oct 24, 2013 8:56 am

Hi there and welcome!
I would bring them indoors. We have a couple of articles on the site about overwintering. Here's what one had to say:

The secret is timing: Frost kills active growth, so leave the plants in the ground until after the first light frost. But don't wait too long: A hard frost can kill some tender perennials, and once the plant goes dormant, rot-causing microbes can quickly attack. After the first frost, trim the foliage to a few inches from the ground. Carefully dig up the root bulb and inspect it for signs of insects or fungus. Only overwinter healthy plants.

Allow the bulb, corm or tuber to dry inside where it's warm for a couple of weeks. Ensure the drying area has good air circulation. If the plant is a corm (like gladiolus), remove the dried foliage and cut off the old corms from the bottom. Once dried, bury in either dry sand, sphagnum peat moss or vermiculite.

And here are some links:

http://www.canadiangardening.com/how-to ... rs/a/27829

http://www.canadiangardening.com/what-t ... ts/a/32496

Best of luck! :D
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby Ian66 » Oct 24, 2013 10:13 am

If you want them to grow as house plants, then it is important which type of begonia you have .....Wax begonias (fiberous types) can be raised successfully in a bright window in indirect sunlight.....Tuberous begonias are less successful as house plants and are usually dug up, removing the tuber at the base of the flower stalk and allowed to dry for a couple of days before putting them in peat moss and overwintered in a cool dark area for the winter .......in spring, the tuberous begonia can be potted up and will regrow for the summer.....

Remember to "introduce" any plant that has been grown outside to your indoor environment......this is done by bringing it in (and taking it back out) for longer periods of time over a week or two, so it gets used to your home environment....otherwise you may shock it and the leaves will drop off or the growth will drastically be reduced.....

Hope this helps
Ian
Ian66

Postby Alice in Wonderland » Oct 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies and advice. I'm going to try and keep them as houseplants and see how it goes. I've brought them in 2 nights in a row, now will keep them indoors. They're still looking pretty chipper. :)
Wish me luck!
Alice
Alice in Wonderland

Return to Plant Talk