Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

severe haircut for an umbrella tree

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

severe haircut for an umbrella tree

Postby Jenchanted » Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Hello:
I am new to this board, and am excited to be a part of it. Unfortunately, I will be more an asker than an answerer!!! So here goes my first query...

I have an indoor umbrella tree (schefflera) that is about 40 years old, which I inherited from my mother. The plant is about 8 feet tall, but only has leaves (although numerous) towards the top of it… The first few feet is bark. I would like to cut it back to about 6-8 inches, which, judging by the bottom of the plant, will be the third time it has received such a drastic pruning.

My question is can I do it now (late October), or do I need to wait for spring. Or, would such drastic action condemn it to the compost heap?

Thanks for any advice,
Jen
Jenchanted

Re: severe haircut for an umbrella tree

Postby socialbutterfly » Jan 03, 2014 8:15 am

Hi Jen!
Did you trim your Schefflera?

If it's a healthy plant and it likes where it's growing, I don't think it matters when it gets a haircut.
I usually work on my plants after the holidays, because by then I'm snowed in and working on my plants is winter therapy. It works for me. :)
socialbutterfly

Re: severe haircut for an umbrella tree

Postby sammymorgan » Mar 31, 2014 4:33 am

Sometimes, giving them pruning can help them grow new leaves.
sammymorgan

Return to Indoor Plants