Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

My Neighbour cut down my blackberry bush! Will it grow back?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

My Neighbour cut down my blackberry bush! Will it grow back?

Postby ThecasualGardner » Sep 11, 2013 9:47 am

Hey guys, I am a first time poster and pretty new to gardening, but I have been loving it this summer. We planted tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and have, or had, a massive blackberry bush that kept us stocked full of fresh berries all summer.

My neighbour, who now rents his home, came over the weekend and cut the bush. We are close with him, so it is not unusual for him to be in and out of the yard. Our bush was spilling on to his property, so I guess he thought he was doing us a favour by chopping it down on both sides.

My question is, and forgive me if it is foolish: Will our blackberry bush come back in full bloom next summer? He left the roots in tacks, and there are 4 or 5 solid stocks that he cut on an angle, about a foot high. I THINK it will come back strong, but I just wanted to verify because I love blackberries :)

We also had a little grape vine growing along the fence that didn't make it either. They were little black grapes and actually sweet, albeit seedy. I was looking forward to a fall harvest but it looks like the grocery store grapes will have to do. Will it come back as well?

Thanks!!!
ThecasualGardner

Re: My Neighbour cut down my blackberry bush! Will it grow b

Postby davefrombc » Sep 11, 2013 10:23 am

I wish your neighbour would come here and cut my blackberry bushes down and remove them . They have to be one of the nastiest , invasive pests going ... Yes , the berries are delicious, but they really don't make up for the thorny pest blackberries are .. Ye, the blackberries will regrow from the roots. They are very difficult to kill. . Whether you will get berries from them next year , I don't know. They normally fruit on old growth ( second year wood)> If you do keep the blackberry vines , keep them well trimmed so neither you neighbour or others suffer from their spread . . There are thornless domestic blackberry vines you can buy at a nursery . I would recommend planting one of them instead of cultivating that wild species. The thornless one grows with the same vigor as the wild one , but is much easier (and less painful) to control
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby ThecasualGardner » Sep 11, 2013 11:44 am

Mine was one of the good ones! No thorns, though we did need to trim it from time to time, it was getting massive.

It's good to hear it will come back, though hopefully the blackberries will be plentiful!!

And mindaled, most people I know who use grow lights use it for pot. So it would probably sell in Canada ;)
ThecasualGardner

Postby sunkeeper » Nov 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Here's a great website

http://www.ehow.com/how_7617023_prune-t ... ushes.html

A 2- to 3-inch wood chip or straw mulch conserves moisture and protects the plants from winter temperatures
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Return to Plant Talk