Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Indoor Gardening for a Newb

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Indoor Gardening for a Newb

Postby RedBisou » Dec 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Hello! My name is Red and I live in Ontario Canada. I'm looking to build an indoor garden but I have some issues:

-Space
-Roommates (messy rommates -.-)
-Know-how (I know nothing... Like absolutely nothing)
-WINDOW SPACE! (I only have one window in the house I could put pots in that is inaccessible to my kitten)

I was thinking of building it in the garage (heated and lots of windows, we don't use it for cars, more of less just gym equipment, storage and for gaming)

Is this feasible? Any tips?
RedBisou

Re: Indoor Gardening for a Newb

Postby CG admin » Dec 18, 2013 11:23 am

If you're looking to start seeds, you can purchase grow lights and attach them to a shelving unit. However this special kit from Lee Valley is great for beginners: http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page ... 16&p=68785

If the garage is heated, that is a great environment to grow plants, but again, you will need special lights.

Best of luck!
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby Boehm_09 » Dec 31, 2013 6:24 am

Nice post!
Boehm_09

Postby braun » Jul 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Underwatering is probably the leading killer of indoor plants for beginners, but so is over-watering! Google your plant's light and water requirements. Watch the plant's leaves and the soil. In general, most plants like their soil to dry out a bit before watering again - this helps to prevent the roots form rotting. Look for changes in leaf colour: if your plant is getting a lot of light but the leaves turn a paler colour than normal, cut the light back a bit.

Eventually your indoor garden will attract some pests - be on the lookout for small white flies (whitefly) or black flies (fungus gnat). If you don't deal with them they can eventually kill your plants!

Good luck!
braun

Postby Camron70 » Oct 21, 2014 6:08 am

I was thinking of building it in the garage (heated and lots of windows, we don't use it for cars, more of less just gym equipment, storage and for gaming)
We provide guarantee to pass 70-410 vce exam questions - braindumps.com and ARM, you can also get best quality Stanford University along with Youtube for your guaranteed success.
Camron70

Return to Container Gardening