Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

When do you start your seedlings indoors?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

When do you start your seedlings indoors?

Postby socialbutterfly » Jan 25, 2014 9:37 am

Last year, I started mine in March to be ready by the third week in May and I don't think it was long enough for some of vegetables.
When do you start yours?
Thank You!
socialbutterfly

Re: When do you start your seedlings indoors?

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 11, 2014 12:41 am

Different times for different crops. Some seed catalogues offer lots of good propagation information, including seed starting times, (my favourite is Stokes). If you buy seeds from Veseys, they used to include a nice growing guide with your order, (at least they did last time I ordered from them). One of Lois Hole's books, (The Northern Gardener?) offers lots of "when to plant information", for both indoor starting and direct seeding.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby socialbutterfly » Feb 11, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks very much for replying to my post Justanotherider!
Great advice!
Went to Lowes yesterday and they already have their seeds out.

I started sowing a few things indoors already.
The challenge will be to see if I can keep my seedlings growing until May. :)
Have a great day and thank you!
socialbutterfly

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 11, 2014 10:53 am

This is early for veggie seeds - what crops are you planting and what's your frost free date?
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby socialbutterfly » Feb 11, 2014 1:32 pm

This is early for veggie seeds - what crops are you planting and what's your frost free date?

Hi Justanotherider!
That is what I thought too, but last year I started peppers, watermelon and others in March and I didn't get any produce before the first deep frost. This year I want to try it again with larger plants for planting around May long weekend.

My vegetable garden at the moment is at the experimental stage.
I really don't have one! :)
I have a large pile of backfill from when we excavated.
I still have way to much soil, but when you need a roof over your head, landscaping and gardening comes last.
http://homes-n-gardens.com/backyard-gar ... -2013.html
What I found out is - growing in backfill is not that bad. I grew a lot stuff without fertilizer or pesticides last year. I depended on Mother Nature to do the watering for me as well. :)

This year I want to see if I can grow sweet potatoes.
If I can get this vegetable garden going, it will be my first. I still have lots to learn. Thank You!
socialbutterfly

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 11, 2014 6:34 pm

I find it important to select short season varietys to get good crops of peppers, watermelon, and cantelope; but having said that, I don't think it will hurt to start them fairly early. The only problems I foresee is that your melon plants may get pretty big in the house.

Depending on your weather, you might want to consider holding off a week or two on setting out the peppers. If they get night temperatures below 10 degrees, they often drop their blossoms, and then they won't produce any fruit.

In order to get better melons, you might want to consider watering them. I plant mine in old car tires to conserve water, and water by hand below the leaves, in the morning.
Justanotherider

Postby socialbutterfly » Feb 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Thank You Justanotherider .
This year I will try and help out Mother Nature a little bit. :)

I'll let you know how I made out with my garden. :)
socialbutterfly

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening