Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

beehive pros and cons?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

beehive pros and cons?

Postby milkwoman » Feb 28, 2014 9:11 pm

I have been approached by a bee farmer wanting to use my land for his hives. Now, besides the obvious benefit of pollinating my garden, I was wondering if anybody else out there rents their land to beekeepers and what other pros and cons there might be? I have hard that having bees wil reduce the fly population around my house. Thoughts anyone?
milkwoman

Re: beehive pros and cons?

Postby Justanotherider » Feb 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Can't think of any cons, and sure would be glad to have hives on my land - there's got to be some free honey available in the deal! :-)
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby davefrombc » Feb 28, 2014 10:21 pm

I know of no cons.. Even if you or a family member is allergic to a sting. The chance of being stung by a bee from a hive or even many hives on your property is far less than that of being stung by a wasp or hornet.
I don't believe having bees around will reduce the fly population. Bees and flies do not interact, but I can't see any negative reason to having hives . If the bee farmer wishes to rent a hive site, I say go for it .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby milkwoman » Mar 01, 2014 9:26 am

Yes there will definitely be free honey!! I couldn't really think ofany negatives either...but was wondering if it was a 'too good to be true' deal. And after just planting many types of fruit trees and vines last year.....
milkwoman

Postby OGrubber » Mar 26, 2014 10:31 am

There are no real cons, so to speak. But, I would make sure the hives were placed in an area that doesn't see too much traffic. They can get agitated if it's an area that sees a lawnmower or other loud machinery too often, and when the temps get really high, they can get a bit cranky. laf
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby ProudRascal » Mar 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Here's a con that I think a lot of people are missing:
aside from honey one thing a bee colony will produce is other bee colonies
if some migrant bees decide to take up roost under your deck or god forbid in your attic it could result in a hefty pest control bill.

But I would still welcome it. It's worth the risk to bring some pollinators to around and to support the threatened honey bee population.
ProudRascal

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening