Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Private community/allotment Gardens

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Private community/allotment Gardens

Postby Artur » Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi,
I live in Toronto in a condo and would like to know if anyone knows of any privately run/owned community gardens or Allotments in and around the GTA? I ask this because the city owned/run ones have huge waiting lists that seem to take at least a year to get into in most cases (if you don’t miss the first sign up day, haha) and they are also quite small…
Has anyone else had this experience? I would love to have a the space to do some real gardening in and be able to can my own food!!

Thanks!
Artur

Re: Private community/allotment Gardens

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 07, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm not from TO, so can't answer your question; however, I have a suggestion. You might advertise on Kajiji, or similar, for someone to allow you to garden in their yard, and share the crop with them. I imagine there may be people who would love to garden their yard; but don't have the time, or the knowledge, or the physical ability to garden.

You might get really lucky and run into some old gardener whom is too crippled up to garden anymore; but has a head full of experience they would share with you.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby artknapp » Mar 24, 2014 3:27 am

At ArtKnapp's plantland Penticton, BC, there are huge experienced gardening professionals those can offer you great tips for your garden with practical experiences.
artknapp

Postby Marion » Apr 21, 2014 2:22 pm

I hope you find some space to garden! In 1978 I was living in Waterloo and wanted so much to have a garden. Thankfully, relatives of friends gave me space in their backyard just outside of the city. If you can't get a community plot, like another poster said, you may be able to find a sympathetic gardener who'd love to have a veggie garden growing in their space. It's worked for me more than once!!!
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby JosieO » Apr 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Aww... What a nice thought. I would love to have a gardening friend using my ground. I have plenty of space but I live in QC. I do plan on sharing my spoils and treasures with family and friends as well... if the sun ever shines again :mrgreen:
JosieO

Postby tricone » Apr 25, 2014 12:25 pm

No idea I'm afraid - but does your condo have a balcony and can you grow on it? If you employ vertical growing techniques you can get a lot out of a very small space. I will be growing strawberries in old vertically-mounted drainpipes this year, wish me luck!
tricone

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas