Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Rare Native Plants

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Rare Native Plants

Postby EcoNative101 » Mar 14, 2014 12:32 am

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forums and was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out in locating some plants for my garden. I am looking for some Cypripedium reginae and Double Trillium. I have been trying to find some for several years now and have not been able to. I know there are many online orders forms for them but I was hoping to find them in or around my area (GTA). Feel free to private message me as well. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to add these to my garden this spring. Thanks for your time!
EcoNative101

Re: Rare Native Plants

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Based on a quick search, it would seem ordering your lady slipper from a commercial source is your best bet. They are so rare in the wild that I should think it a sin to dig one up. Also, since they are so rare and expensive, I doubt you will find them up for trade, (although one never knows, I suppose).

Don't know a thing about double trilliums, except them seem a bit ugly to me. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby EcoNative101 » Mar 15, 2014 3:19 am

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately it seems catalogues may be the only way to go about finding these plants. As for the double trillium pictures really don't not do them justice, they are quite a marvel in person. They are similar to a rose but not quite yet still lovely.
EcoNative101

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 15, 2014 12:35 pm

I saw a documentary that mentioned that lady slippers need a particular bacteria or fungus in their soil in order to survive. I don't know any details on the topic; but what I came away with was the impression they would need a significant amount of their native soil to accompany any transplants to be successful.

I've been thinking of transplanting a few from a wild patch; but don't want to just move and kill the plants, so I wonder if you have more information on the topic?
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby EcoNative101 » Mar 15, 2014 5:04 pm

The problem with transplanting Cypripedium reginae is once they are established somewhere it is incredibly risky to try to transplant them. The best method is to dig a hole about 1-2 feet around and below the plant and then transplant the soil with the plant. However, it may survive for a year but will likely dwindle afterwards.They prefer to grow around swamp-like areas with pines as they like more acidic soil. Unless these plants are in danger where they are currently located I would leave them only because I have heard very few success stories in terms of transplanting. They are just a very fragile plant.
EcoNative101

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Agreed. I have my eye on a few of a much more common variety. They transplant fairly well, and I know where there are a few hundred of them...
Justanotherider

Postby EcoNative101 » Mar 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Wow, that must be a gorgeous site in the spring. I've never had the fortune to see a Cypriprdium in the wild before.
EcoNative101

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 16, 2014 12:53 pm

They are pretty, for sure. Not sure I'll be able to get there this spring - got lotsa work to get done this spring and summer. Will try to get a photo.
Justanotherider

Return to Plant Talk