Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

help confirming plant identity

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

help confirming plant identity

Postby paulpaulpaul » Mar 21, 2014 11:29 pm

i wasnt sure if i shouldve posted this under container gardening but since its a normal general question about identifying a plant i thought i might have better luck posting this here. feel free to move the thread as you see fit.

so anyways this is my second year growing potatoes in buckets from my city appartment, with high hopes of topping last year's miserable crop lol.. i planted four red potatoes found in an apple orchard last september that had formed nice eyes and sprouts over the winter while in storage. of the four, two fully sprouted into plants, so i decided to plant a fifth piece of potatoe from a store bought batch, only this one with white skin, just to see if id get anything. as instructed in many videos and tutorials around the web, i kept piling earth in the bucket as the sprouts grew, to encourage them to form new roots.

after some weeks of piling i still had just the two first sprouting red potatoes forming into plants, forgetting about the other ones i had planted which were now burried deep under a good 20 inches of soil. but then one day, something popped the ground. at first i thought it was one of the two growing plants that had branched, and i was happy. but then it started growing, and growing. growing alot. and its leaves didnt look like the two other plants, nor like other potato plants i had seen before.

then i got worried; was it just some weed growing from something that had fallen in thr soil over the winter? so i dug down.. and down.. to reach almost the bottom of the bucket and finally saw.. the store bought white potato. i felt around in the dirt and it really seemed to me as though the growth sprouted off the potato. so i put the dirt back on and let it be, for a few weeks more..

but it keeps growing. growing like a WEED and its leaves are now definately not the as the other potatoe leaves sticking out the bucket. now, im new to this, very new. so i come to you experts im helping solve the question as to whether or not this is truly a potato plant, or if its a foreign weed i should yank out of the soil as soon as i get a chance. so here are a few pics, and let me know what you think. thanks in advance
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
paulpaulpaul

Re: help confirming plant identity

Postby paulpaulpaul » Mar 21, 2014 11:34 pm

just a precision, the top pic with the rounded leaves is known to be from one of the red potatoes, whereas the one im trying to id is more clearly seen in the last pic. as you can see its grown alot more (in less time also); there are also more leaves attached togheter at the stem.

however, the veins on the leaves are somewhat similar on both plants, and the main stalk feels very much like what i remeber from last year's attempt - large and looking solid yet brittle so to speak.

anyway, hope that helps you guys help me out!
paulpaulpaul

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Perhaps a tomato? If it starts calling you Seymor, kill it quick!
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby thistle » Mar 25, 2014 3:37 pm

I think it looks like a Tomato Seedling :?
thistle

Postby paulpaulpaul » Mar 28, 2014 3:56 pm

ive heard that too but if it is it's a guiness world record as far as growth speed is concerned.. after a bit more research i'm a bit less worried that its not a potatoe, as i have seen pictures of other potato plants on the web whos leaves resemble those that are growing in my bucket. and i'm 99.9% confident i felt the stem coming off the potato itself down the bucket - like i said, wish i coulve showed you that picture i took of that - so ill just let it be. unless, again, someone more knowledgable than me here has any reason to believe its not a potatoe or worse, something evil...

perhaps anothet question, on the side, would be to know if there is anything bad that can happen from growing two different types of potatoes in one bucket so close to one another?.. ive read a bucket this size can handle up to 3 plants, but of different varieties? so far the plants look happy but you never know..

heres another look at what looks like by now. if the sun can finally start to shine and melt all that white stuff you see in the back, i can finally get everything outside!..
Attachments
image.jpg
paulpaulpaul

Postby fleecyd » Jul 25, 2014 11:33 am

Hello!

I would also have to go with Tomatoes.. The tomato seedlings in my vegetable garden last summer looked just like yours :D
fleecyd

Return to Plant Talk