Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

How do I fix this?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

How do I fix this?

Postby Sa1821 » Feb 19, 2014 10:23 am

We built a new home in the summer. In the fall my husband had a landscaper plant grass seed and "prep" where I wanted flowebeds. However he didn't specify I wanted screened topsoil. So basically it's full of weeds and twitch grass. I split many grasses etc with my mom and planted them in the fall. Now I'm wondering. What I can do to either fix the soil and stop he weeds? Spray the areas? Get a truck or screened topsoil or manure to dig in? Use the black fabric to cover then mulch? Any suggestions are appreciated. It's a lot of large areas so I'm hoping not to have to start fresh!
Sa1821

Re: How do I fix this?

Postby artknapp » Feb 21, 2014 9:46 am

It will be advisable to start as fresh, because spraying may harm power of the soil.
artknapp

Postby socialbutterfly » Feb 25, 2014 9:38 am

What I can do to either fix the soil and stop he weeds? Spray the areas?

Hi Sa1821!
The only way I know how to stop the weeds is with a garden hoe.
Once the surrounding plants, trees, bushes start growing, there won't be enough room for the weeds to take over and then it will take less weeding.

Code: Select all
Get a truck or screened topsoil or manure to dig in?

This will amend your soil and it will be great for all of your plants including weeds.

Use the black fabric to cover then mulch?

This will stop the weeds from growing up through the fabric, but it won't stop the weeds from growing on the fabric. Once the fabric is down then you won't be able to amend your soil. You can mulch the landscaping cloth, but you still will have weeds and your mulch will need to be refreshed every couple of years or so.

It's a lot of large areas so I'm hoping not to have to start fresh!

I too am building a house and all the screened top soil did was give the blowing in seeds a nicer place to germinate.

Until my gardens were planted I would hoe my weeds a couple a times a week and I think this year I expect to do it twice for the growing season. At first it's overwhelming, but I took it one bed and one day at the time.
http://homes-n-gardens.com/front-yard-g ... -2013.html
http://homes-n-gardens.com/backyard-gar ... -2013.html
All of my garden planning has been done and now I'm just waiting for the warm weather.
Good luck!
ps. I'm just a gardening hobbyist.
socialbutterfly

Postby TerraTea » Mar 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Weeds are the result of unhealthy, unbalanced soil as you are finding out. You need to add a good quality compost and either hoe it in or water it in. Another way to increase organic matter is to use compost tea or liquid compost extract. These methods increase the microbial activity within the soil which improves the nutrient uptake to the plants. Organic fertilizer in liquid form will provide extra food for the microbes which increases their population. Healthy balanced soil is teeming with microbes, worms and all the creatures in between (the soil food web). Any addition of chemical fertilizers or weed and feeds destroys the microbes and puts you back to square one - unhealthy soil filled with weeds.
TerraTea

Postby artknapp » Apr 28, 2014 10:03 am

To remove weeds from the soil top soil screening is the good option, because it will not affect the the fertility of the soil.
artknapp

Postby oldgal75 » May 23, 2014 5:52 pm

It's called 'weeding". Arm yourself with a dandelion tool and a good hand fork and dig the beggars out. Weeding is a vital, endless and unavoidable part of gardening. Putting foreign stuff on top of good garden soil is a sin and a shame. Don't do it - please, don't do it.
oldgal75

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas