Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing strawberries in containers

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Growing strawberries in containers

Postby kneesinthedirt » Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm

I have never grown strawberries before but this year I was given what I call a large collapsible plastic coated, burlap-type of "strawberry / herb pot" with handles for lifting. It has about 12 large holes. I thought I'd give strawberry growing a try. Does anyone have experience with growing strawberries this way? Any suggestions or variety preferences?
kneesinthedirt

Re: Growing strawberries in containers

Postby Durgan » Feb 21, 2014 8:44 am

I grew strawberries in a half wooden barrel with holes in the sides to contain the plants. It requires a lot of maintenance and production was low. The method was discarded.

Later I grew a 8 by 12 foot patch, and for the amount of berries the maintenance it is not worth the effort. Last Fall, I dug them out.

There are other berries that are better suited for a home garden. Currants, raspberries, gooseberries, maybe blueberries, and blackberries. But most do require some care and maintenance.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby artknapp » Feb 21, 2014 9:06 am

It would the better for you to try once, as different surroundings returns different results. The pot you selected will work, but you have to put proper ratio of additions with the soil. It also advisable to consult an experienced gardener near you.
artknapp

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Mar 30, 2014 11:52 pm

Darn - I just posted a question about growing strawberries in containers elsewhere. Actually I saw them planted in eavestrough and up off the ground about 6 ft. I'm not sure if that would contain sufficient soil. And as you have posted, I am wondering if it will be worth the effort. I have a ground patch about 5' x 8' and I found it very hard to keep the rows clean of runners - the berries were generally quite small. :-( We are zone 6 - 7 here.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby barmer » Apr 02, 2014 1:55 am

give me some idea how to grow strawberries in containers. i am trying to grow but needs some advice.
barmer

Postby tricone » Apr 15, 2014 10:17 am

Last year I tried strawberries in one of those hanging strawberry growers you can get practically anywhere... and had fairly good results! Got a decent crop over several months, from 12 plants. The grower was not placed in full sun and I could probably expect a better crop from an improved location.

This year I am going to try growing them vertically in pieces of old guttering or piping, mounted either in large planters or straight in the ground. I have one 5ft piece of guttering sawn up and ready, which will hold about 20 plants, wish me luck!

As for other berries... I planted a couple of young raspberry brambles last year, they are stupidly easy to grow and can also be trained to follow trellises or fences. Yields last year weren't spectacular, but they were young plants so I'd expect a better crop this year.
tricone

Postby davegrass » Aug 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Do strawberries need much water?
davegrass

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening