Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Idea's to create privacy in my backyard?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Idea's to create privacy in my backyard?

Postby Mandragora » Apr 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a low maintenance solution to create privacy in my backyard. The one side of our backyard is a chain link fence, the rest is privacy fence so we're really only looking to create privacy on the one side with the chain link.

We are in zone 5, and looking for something that will create the privacy year round. We are also very very beginner level gardeners and don't have much time to spend maintaining our plants. Although, I don't mind something that requires pruning and watering every now and then. The location of the fence is in partial sun. Also, since the neighbors that we share that fence with seem very picky (they commented on us not watering plants in our backyard that were there when me moved in) we'd like something that won't go through the fence or even touch the fence too much.

We were thinking something like an emerald cedar, or some other type of hedge. Any ideas would be much appreciated. We would like something that will be around 6-8 ft. and fast growing if possible.
Mandragora

Re: Idea's to create privacy in my backyard?

Postby tricone » Apr 16, 2014 3:28 pm

I'd imagine some kind of cedar would be easiest. Or perhaps a hedge of something like euonymus?
tricone

Postby mango » May 17, 2014 7:05 pm

I would plant a Japanese willow tree or bush as they grow fast. The tree version there is privacy at the top of the fence. I bought this tree as a neighbor took down their bush and now I have privacy again.
mango

Postby oldgal75 » May 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Emerald cedars are lovely and when we decided we needed something for a bit more privacy at the back of our garden, they are what we chose. That was a couple of years ago and they are growing - very, very slowly! We planted them in two staggered rows and when they are full-grow they will provide maximum privacy. However, on the neighbour's side of one of our side fences, previous owners planted the regular, fast-growing cedars which are now well above two-storeys high (someone couldn't be bothered to keep them trimmed properly) and as ugly as any tree could be. I loath them.
Sometimes it pays to wait for beauty to take its time rather than opt for fast and ugly! Unfortunately many of the things that make attractive privacy hedges in the spring, summer and fall, fail to provide any privacy during the winter so if you're planning on staying in that garden, I would go for the emerald cedars and . . . wait!
oldgal75

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas