Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

turning a shrub into a tree

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

turning a shrub into a tree

Postby bridgit » Jun 03, 2014 7:02 pm

I have an 10 year old lilac bush that looks leggy and not planted in a big enough space I love this bush because it is one of the first presents my husband bought me when we built our house. I was thinking about trying to turn it into a tree. I have watched a few youtube videos but am not sure whether I should try. Any thoughs as to whether I should or shouldnt.
bridgit

Re: turning a shrub into a tree

Postby Ian66 » Jun 04, 2014 6:09 am

I have made trees out of lilac shrubs numerous times for customers.......pick one stem and remove all other stems at ground level......depending on the size of the lilac, remove bottom branches as it grows over the years until you have achieved the tree shape......after that is just a matter of pruning lightly any growth to keep it shaped....

This can be done for paniculata hydrangeas and others.

It takes a number of years to create a tree, but in the end, it is well worth it.
Ian66

Re: turning a shrub into a tree

Postby bridgit » Jun 05, 2014 6:59 am

Thank you so much Ian...I just needed that vote of confidence to jump on the boat and go for it!!!!
bridgit

Return to Plant Talk