Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Pollinators

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Pollinators

Postby tricone » Jun 10, 2014 9:07 am

I follow most scientific issues so obviously I'm aware of the general decline in pollinating insects across the developed world. But it's only this year now that I have my own garden that I've really noticed it. Sitting quietly for a couple of hours, all I see are two large bumble bees and one viceroy butterfly.

Is there anything else I can do to attract more? I have never used any kind of insecticide in the garden, there's a reasonable variety of attractive plants for them (I have a large bed of salvia and lavender, big bunch of lupines, lots of clover as groundcover) and I have stacks and stacks of deadwood which I've used to edge my lawn with the dual purpose of hopefully attracting carpenter bees. I know it's not the height of summer yet but it's depressing how little I see buzzing around the place.

I am in Hamilton ON so perhaps it's just a regional air quality issue that's beyond my control
tricone

Re: Pollinators

Postby soccermomof3 » Jun 11, 2014 11:04 am

I bought some "hives" for solitary bees from Lee Valley. Havn't seen any action yet, but maybe it's too soon in the season.
soccermomof3

Return to Over the Garden Fence