Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Blaaw Juniper

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Blaaw Juniper

Postby HeelsDown » May 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Hello all! Happy Spring finally! Boy, that was a long winter. My poor garden. :(

Anyhow, we bought two large Blaaw's today to put in our yard. They will frame our house entry/porch area and fill in a pretty empty area.

At the garden center (a good one in my area), they said it will so fine in shade. I'm home now and reading about them a bit since it's a new shrub to me. All sites are saying full sun? We bought these to replace another shrub that we were told would work in these corners (not same place) and definitely not working.

The area we bought them for is south facing with 4 100 yr old Norway Spruce. So full sun it isn't. The sun peeks thru as it goes over the house during the day. Probably more in the pm. Soil is fine. I'm in 5a.

We pick them up Friday...should we still? I really liked them!

Thanks! Hope y'all are well. :)
Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: Blaaw Juniper

Postby tricone » May 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Couldn't say for certain, but in my experience junipers need full sun except for the ground-hugging varieties.

If you want something evergreen that takes shade, maybe try a euonymus?
tricone

Postby HeelsDown » May 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks! We picked them up tonight - they come with a 3 year guarantee so they said give it a shot after we expressed our concerns. So, see what happens! Probably has to be better than the weigela we have now. It definitely needs to be moved to a more sunny area..if we have any left lol!

Euronymous. Well simply put we already have two tree forms on either side of our porch stairs and then about 5 other low lying varieties. Trying to mix things up. :)

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby HortiTech » Jul 08, 2014 2:45 pm

That's the trouble with Norway Maples unfortunately. They are a beautiful Tree but very invasive. They will shade out all the other plants and hog any available nutrients in the soil. As far as plants that do well in shade - bleeding hearts, foxglove, astilbe, hosta, rhododendrons/azaleas are some ideas...?
HortiTech

Return to Plant Talk