Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Help, I have poisonous nightshade growing with my asparagus.

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Help, I have poisonous nightshade growing with my asparagus.

Postby elizabeth24 » Mar 17, 2010 5:59 pm

What should I do? I have poisonous nightshade growing with my asparagus. If I am able to get rid of the poisonous nightshade, or at least cut if down, as nightshade is invasive, will the asparagus still be safe to eat? Please let me know. Thank you

elizabeth
elizabeth24

Re: Help, I have poisonous nightshade growing with my asparagus.

Postby OGrubber » Mar 18, 2010 9:33 am

Your asparagus should be safe to eat, Elizabeth, but do try to get the nightshade out of there because the roots will be in direct competition for nutrients with your asparagus.
You'll likely be cleaning nightshade out of there for a while though. It's pretty tricky to "get" all of those little berries first time around and they will just reseed the patch.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm

And you should not worry about the toxins in the nightshade either. What we have in Canada is not the deadly Nightshade or Belladonna which is a European beast.

Ours can cause stomach upset to some but isn't supposed to be any more harmful than that.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby elizabeth24 » Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Thank you Kelly, this is the first time that I have heard that Canada does not have the deadly nightshade that Europe has, although when I googled it, it does look the same. Could it possibly have come over from Europe and gotten planted in Canada unknown to others? Just want to be careful

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby kelly_m » Apr 27, 2010 10:15 pm

It does look similar....which is why there is somuch confusion, I think. In my research on it (I have three kids and a few years ago a cottage and a kid who would eat anything with berries!), and I could be mistaken, but for the most part the Belladonna that grows in Europe is not suited to most of our zones....something like that.

In Ontario we have Eastern Black Nightshade...looks the same but not as dangerous.

Some of these nightshades are also used in homepathic medicine. I am not a scientist so I won't get into details!

Suffice to say you are not endangering anyone by having it grow around your asparagus, it needs to be ingested, in larger quantities, in order to do any harm whatsoever. But Like OGrubber says, it will compete with your asparagus so removing it would be beneficial (as any other weed) Grab it, yank it get rid of it.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby elizabeth24 » Apr 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks again for letting me know. When I googled Canadian Nightshade, and Euporean Nightshade, I really didn't get a difference. I had phoned two different garden centres, one being Humber Nurseries, and I wish they had told me that, as they are usually very good. I guess the person I spoke to wasn't aware of the difference. I have learned more about this from you than anywhere else. Thanks, now I can sleep at night, not worrying that some child will eat all these berries, but yes, will have to get rid of them.

elizabeth24
elizabeth24

Postby kelly_m » Apr 29, 2010 9:36 am

Glad i could help. I remember reading somewhere that it was one of the biggest myths....in weeds! If you google the OMAFRA ( i think...ministry of agriculture) they have quite a comprehensive list of weeds, noxious and otherwise.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening