Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Leaves turning brown/yellow color

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Leaves turning brown/yellow color

Postby MountainDad » Jun 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Hello,

The leaves on my tomato plant and spaghetti squash plants started to change color. I don't know what is wrong.

The tomato plant was transplanted to the pot four days ago, and I just noticed the brown spots today.

The spaghetti squash was transplanted two days ago and I noticed a little yellow yesterday, but it is worse today.

Does anyone know what is wrong, or how I can find out?

I used a mix of a couple different types of black soil that came in bags from the store. I also put in some cattle manure compost, which also came in a bag from the store. I watered them daily. The tomato was given some fertilizer one day, it is called "Gaia Green for organic growing all purpose fertilizer 4-4-4". It was sprinkled on top of the soil before I watered the plant.

Thank you

MountainDad

Re: Leaves turning brown/yellow color

Postby jennyferry » Aug 05, 2013 3:45 am

did you do proper soil test for all macro and micro nutrients
jenny is looking at soursop tree benefits for soursop fruit juice.
jennyferry

Postby Jersm » Aug 05, 2013 9:16 am

my main question:

you said you transplanted so that means you took them from the ground and placed them in pots?

1. generaly speaking a plants roots are 2x the size of its green canopy. with this said, its always a horrible idea to transplant a large yet to flower plant. basically what you did was cut the plants roots and now it needs to addapt.

2. if you cut a large plants roots then it can no longer support the greenery those roots have been supplying water and nutrients. as a result many plants will "shed" some leafs in order to reach a size matching the size of its new roots.

3. expect some die off/ the plant sacrificing leafs for their stored water and nutrients they need to heal/grow again. since a plant cant cut itself it literaly cuts off the water and nutrients and the sacrificed leafs turn brown and dry off.

4. another reason is by transplanting they arent use to the new light source/hours of light and the soil thy suddenly were placed in. ex: going from indoor to outdoor or the opposit the plant will get stunned by the new climate/ the sun can burn leafs if not use to it.

you are looking at least 2/3 weeks of healing time minimum before you should see any new growth after the die off. cutting roots is never a good idea if you are expecting fruits or veggies from the transplanted plant.
Jersm

Postby pintu » Aug 17, 2013 8:24 am

It's kind of virus i guess try some natural soil by replacing the older one.
The best way to prepare soursop Tea
pintu

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening