Crowning glory shopping list
- Asparagus fern (Asparagus densiflorus)
- Tuberous begonia (Begonia × tuberhybrida)
- ‘Sulphurium’ Barrenwort (Epimedium × versicolor ‘Sulphurium’)
- Golden japanese forest grass (Hakonechloa ‘All Gold’)
- Variegated Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exalta ‘Tiger Fern’)
Planting steps and tips
1. Choose a basket with depth to allow for plenty of planting space.
2. Line the basket with moss and top with a plastic insert pierced with holes for drainage. This ensures the moss doesn’t draw the moisture away from the plants.
3. Place the epimedium slightly off-centre, followed by the hakonechloa and begonias, which provide contrast with their purple leaves and yellow flowers.
4. Include fillers, like the variegated Boston fern and asparagus fern, which, as Paul explains, are very forgiving because you can tease the roots and squeeze them in anywhere.
Tip: Be mindful of where you hang your basket. Ensure that it’s within reach and the wall, fence or branch is able to support it, especially after it’s watered.