How to create harmony
To create a garden that’s both formal and informal, Stuart Webster of Webster Design recommends the following:
- Create a focal point that’s in keeping with the directional axes of your house and property lines.
- Divide the space in your yard carefully and systematically. This doesn’t have to be difficult or elaborate, it just has to be thoughtful and planned.
- Keep stone joints and walkways neat and proportional. Use them to guide the eye through the space.
- Plant with four seasons of colour and texture in mind.
- Use large brush strokes of colourful low-maintenance perennials to lend an informal touch.
- Emphasize the vertical elements of a house, such as columns, with evergreens. They’ll also provide interest in winter.
- Plan outward from the garden’s centre. The further you go from the centre, the more relaxed your plantings can be.