From garden to vase
- Pick flowers in early morning, when stems are full of water and unstressed from midday heat.
- Take a tall bucket with cool water with you and immerse stems as you gather.
- Cut to just above a side branch; it will grow and produce flowers in a week or so.
- Recut stems just before arranging in a vase filled with water and floral food.
- Strip leaves from the portion of stem that will be below water. (Or strip the bottom leaves when cutting outdoors.)
- Use clean vases and change water every few days.
- Place arrangements out of direct sun and on a cool surface.
- Include leaves, branches, ornamental grasses, vines and berries in floral arrangements for contrast and interest.