Welcome birds such as cardinals and chickadees into your winter garden with these easy-to-make seed-covered balls. To keep furry critters at bay, we’ve mounted ours on a suet ball feeder (that cost $2.99), but a garden stake or bent coat hanger will work, too.
What you'll need
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) corn oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) peanut butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) sunflower seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) crushed eggshells
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable shortening
- Cornmeal as needed
Putting it together
1. Combine all the ingredients except the cornmeal in a bowl. Add enough cornmeal to hold the mixture together.
2. Form the mixture into balls or bricks, then freeze them overnight.
3. Place the balls or bricks on your feeder.
Designed by Kate Seaver, Kate’s Garden, Markham, Ontario.
You might also enjoy: