Welcome birds such as cardinals and chickadees into your winter garden with these easy-to-make seed-covered balls. To keep furry critters at bay, we’ve mounted ours on a suet ball feeder ($2.99), but a garden stake or bent coat hanger will work, too.
Designed by Kate Seaver, Kate’s Garden, Markham, Ontario.
What you’ll need
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) corn oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) peanut butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) sunflower seeds
- ½ cup (125 mL) whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) crushed eggshells
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable shortening
- Cornmeal as needed
1. Combine all ingredients except cornmeal in a bowl. Add enough cornmeal to hold mixture together.
2. Form into balls or bricks, then freeze overnight.
3. Place on feeder.