What to do now - Diversions
Take a peek inside a production greenhouse
Ever ponder the origins of all those gorgeous plants at your local garden centre? Here's a behind-the-scenes look!
When it comes time to deciding which annuals to order for next year, Bird makes her selection based on the previous year’s sales and customer requests. Plant breeders are constantly developing new varieties. Whether breeders are trying to improve a plant’s ability to resist disease and drought or whether they’re designing a plant to showcase bright and beautiful blooms, annuals are always being tweaked. Plant trials are the plant industry’s way of measuring how well a new variety performs. The best plant performers end up being propagated by greenhouse growers.
- Page 1: The process of growing annuals
- Page 2: The arrival of the plant plugs
- Page 3: Preparing for cuttings
- Page 4: Monitoring for pests
- Page 5: Controlling the environment
- Page 6: Planting in pots and cell packs
- Page 7: Encouraging growth in seedlings
- Page 8: Watering plants
- Page 9: Ready for business
- Page 10: Choosing star annuals