What to do now - Diversions
Take a peek inside a production greenhouse
Ever ponder the origins of all those gorgeous plants at your local garden centre? Here's a behind-the-scenes look!
The seeds arrive at Birdhouse Garden Market in December, but they won’t be seeded until January. When the plugs arrive the first week of March, they need some tender loving care after travelling in a box for 24 hours. We give them a good soak and then let them sit in the sun to acclimatize before we plant them, says Bird. The plugs are then planted in a variety of containers, including cell packs, patio planters and hanging baskets.
- Page 1: The process of growing annuals
- Page 2: The arrival of the plant plugs
- Page 3: Preparing for cuttings
- Page 4: Monitoring for pests
- Page 5: Controlling the environment
- Page 6: Planting in pots and cell packs
- Page 7: Encouraging growth in seedlings
- Page 8: Watering plants
- Page 9: Ready for business
- Page 10: Choosing star annuals