When/how to plant
- Plant tulip bulbs when soil temperature is below 10 to 15 C (50 to 60 F), before the ground freezes, usually between late September and late October.
- Loosen and remove soil to a depth of 15 to 20 cm (6 to 8 inches). Rule of thumb: plant at a depth that is equal to three times the height of the bulb.
- Loosen soil at the base of the planting hole. To enrich it, mix in bone meal (follow package directions).
- Place bulbs with the pointed tip facing up at least 5 cm (2 inches) apart.
- Cover bulbs with soil, and water the area thoroughly.